Saturday, September 26, 2009

B/W typographical


ROUGHSSS






Through study and experiment using letters forms and counter forms I acquired my design/image. A few things I obviously kept in mind were emphasis, balance and flow, followed by repetition, contrast, and alignment. Using the dark contrast of my upsides down j it has major emphasis to draw the eye specifically up to the left corner. With the cut sphere(came from the top of j) transcending off the end and heavy contrast with the counter j form behind it; it draws eyes to the right side. From following the segmented dot it then creates a sense of flow leading my viewers and audience into the upside down F's. I used Sans Serif f in the background to give more depth. The Dot in the counter form of the grey-scaled J then helps further balance the left side with the right side of contrasted F's. Using alignment through contrast it draws the viewers attention on the right. The several F's brings a sense of repetition and depth. I added the Brushscripted N to create unity and balance the entire design with the initials of my name JFN. I implimented the rule of thirds as well by acquiring a focal point with the upside down j and the F's which cross vital areas on the grid. I think my design is very effective in that ive used all of the design principles and acquired a firm understanding of forms and counterforms.

2 comments:

  1. Your design is very imaginative, well structured and concentrated. Due to the excellent use of alignment it has a smooth flow. The changing of 'F' in scale, presents a sense of depth and demension that pulls the viewer in and allows them to travel through the piece. The upside down 'J' helps to keep a necessary balance which makes the overall design successful. The use of your own initials was also very creative...but was the design ment to be only on one side of the page, or should you have cropped it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think what makes this an exciting design is that it has stopped clinging to the notion of the patterns as letters and fonts and instead gone completely abstract and focused only on shape. It could almost be telling a story since it has so much movement and multiple ideas happening all at once.

    ReplyDelete